The Adventure Experience
Sheltered by enclosing hills, in a natural basin, lies a wonderful bushveld retreat, Thabaphaswa Mountain Retreat.
The landscape is reminiscent of the Matopo Hills further North. "Thabaphaswa", in the local dialect, means "the mountain of the black and white bull" - a well-known landmark to the inhabitants and tribes in the area. It describes the coloured patterns of the indigenous Nguni cattle. The Thabaphaswa mountain towers over the adjacent hills.
The network of hiking, mountain biking and 4 X 4 trails, offers the ideal opportunity for nature lovers to discover the variety of game, bird and plant life of the area. The beautiful scenery are complemented by the design of the overnight camps which are camouflaged between the big boulders on the farm which blend into the mountain landscape.
Located on the Percy Fyfe road, 16 km North of Mokopane (Potgietersrus) near the main routes to Zimbabwe, Botswana, Northern Kruger Park and Mozambique. Coordinates: 29º 02' 34” E and 24º 03' 22” S. Highest point: 1900m above sea level. Less than three hours drive from Gauteng - the ideal weekend getaway.
Winter: Mild and evenings can be spent outside around the camp fire. Summer: fairly warm but pleasant with a mountain breeze often blowing. A farm reservoir is available for swimming. Thabaphaswa's climate is around 5 degrees cooler in summer than Mokopane and about the same as Polokwane and Pretoria’s climate. Thabaphaswa is located in a basin between mountains which ensures that we do not receive frost except along the lowest creeks. We are also isolated from icy winds. Average rainfall: 500 - 700mm per annum.
- Huilboerboon (2 rooms sleeps 4 + 3),
- Red Ivory (3 rooms sleeps 3 + 2 + 2),
- Maroela (2 rooms sleeping 4 + 2) and
- Kiepersol (2 rooms sleeping 4 + 2).
- R200 per vehicle
Fourwheel drive or 4x4 is a popular outdoor activity at Thabaphaswa with 'n network of 4x4 routes in the 1 and 2 difficulty range.
The Mountain Club of SA has bolted a150 meter 5 pitch rock climb on a granite rock face on Thabaphaswa (difficulty 17-26).
Where is Thabaphaswa?
We are less than 3 hours away from Johannesburg - ideal for a weekend getaway. Thabaphaswa is in the fork, formed by the N1 and the N11 national routes, on the Percy Fyfe road, 16 km North of Mokopane (Potgietersrus) in Limpopo. We are the ideal stop-over for travellers to and from Kruger National Park, Zimbabwe, Botswana and other SADC countries.
GPS: S24 04.500 E29 04.013
View Thabaphaswa Mountain Sanctuary in a larger map
FUN IN THE FARM DAMS
Fun is the name of our game! Cool off in one of our clear-water farm dams, jump from a boulder into refreshing clear, mountain spring water or be your old adventurous self and plough into the water from our true South African foefieslide.
An enjoyable network of mountain bike trails offer the ideal opportunity to enjoy a large variety of plant, animal and birdlife while enjoying your favourite sport.
There are various circle routes with shorter routes to follow, catering for all degrees of fitness. In addition over 3000ha of jeep tracks, single tracks, cattle paths and district gravel roads to explore. Our trials are frequently visited and endorsed by well known bikers such as Fritz Pienaar.
A SAHTOA accredited (easy to average) network of hiking trails offers the ideal opportunity to enjoy nature at its best and visitors can plot their own route according to personal preferences.
Birders will not be disappointed in Thabaphaswa, especially during the summer months.
The Farm Experience
2013 - 2014
- Children 4-12 yrs half price,
- Children under 4 yrs free
- 25% discount for organized groups (10 or more people), special interest groups/youth groups/church groups etc.
- 20% Pensioners discount for midweek bookings.
We are dog friendly!
- Visitors must provide their own firewood. Limited amounts are available for sale at the homestead;
- The camps have no electricity and lighting is provided by paraffin lamps, so bring your torch! The homestead runs on a generator and batteries;
- There is no cell phone reception at the camps;
- Bird, tree and other species lists are available at the homestead;
- Hiking from Domerock to Kanniedood: A minimum of 6 people per back packing group, please. If groups are smaller, the accommodation at Kanniedood can not be used and hikers will be accommodated in Dome Rock, Bergvy or at the tent sites.
- The area is malaria free but we strongly advsie that you bring insecct repellant as mosquitoes and ticks can be a problem.
- Dual plate gas stoves with a gas lamp are provided at Dome Rock, Kanniedood and Bergvy Camps.
- Only Dome Rock Camp has a communal fridge.
- Campers must be fully self sufficient.