Thabaphaswa arranges visits to a number of tourist attractions and experiences around Mokopane and Polokwane.
Our visitors can visit:
- Makapans Valley World Heritage Site;
- Mashashane rural village where toursits visit a local artist and enjoy traditional food;
- The Arend Dieperink Museum which houses a valuable cultural historical collection of Sotho and Voortrekker artefacts. The museum is housed in a graceful stone building originally built as a school. The museum portrays the history of the town and surroundings from the time of the ape-men at Makapan’s Cave, through to the Anglo Boer War and recent times. Mampoer and fresh bread are available on request.
Excursions to nearby Nature Reserves:
- The Percy Fyfe Nature Reserve is one of the oldest reserves in Limpopo. It is characterised by the biodiversity of the Polokwane Plateau Bushveld and has special historical and archaelogical attributes. This reserve can potentialy play a significant role to maintain and distribute genetically pure populations of the original Transvaal Roan Antelope and disease-free Cape Buffalo.
- The Witvinger Nature Reserve is a pristine and mountainous wilderness area of 4500 hectares. It encompasses the biodiversity of the Makhado Sweet Bushveld, the Mamobolo Mountain Bushveld and the Polokwane Plateau Bushveld. It also has important historical and archaelogical features such as bushmen paintings.
Bakone Malapa Open Air Museum 9km South of Polokwane on the R37 Lebowakgomo road; Video of sleigh at Bakone Malapa
Eersteling Monuments: In 1871, gold was discovered at Eersteling, and soon the small town was flooded with gold diggers. Prospectors came from far and wide to take advantage of the discovery. Eersteling also played a significant part in history, at the siege of Marabastad on 17 March 1881. The Boers brought in two old boats, with obsolete guns, and used handmade ammunition.The round shot ammunition was handcrafted from beaten iron that came from the Eersteling Mining Company.